Sunday 11 March 2012

Prep and Prime


A couple of days ago I talked about knowing your skin type and to follow up on that blog I want to talk or blog about preparation of your skin and the use of a primer before any makeup is applied.

To be honest with you all, I didn’t discover priming properly until I went to learn about it. I would never put primer on, I thought it was just a waste of time and my skin is fairly clear so I thought there’s not really any use for it, well for me at least.

Since then, I use it whenever I put on makeup, on clients, all that.

So with prepping your skin, it’s to do with cleansing it and removing any dirt, excess oil and grime from the skin, so makeup can stay on longer.
Using something simple like your normal cleanser should do the trick, just something to help remove that dirt, ensuring it doesn’t leave a slimy feel after.
What I like to do and you guys can do it too, I just use toner. If you saw the product review in see.smell.feel about the Clean &Clear toner, I love it so that’s why I use toner, that and it’s good when you’re in a rush and you don’t have time for a proper cleanse.

The next step is priming. I’ve gotten so many mixed messages about this. Should you apply moisturiser after you cleanse and then a primer, or should you just apply primer by itself, or just moistuiser.
Some say YES you need both, others say NO you only need one or the other.

My conclusion is it depends on your skin type. This is why.
If you have oily skin, having moisturiser on, creates more moisture and then adding that primer after especially if it’s a primer that moisturizes as well is too much. Your makeup will just move all over the place.
With dryer skin, yes, I would apply both because it needs that moisture. The makeup needs to sit on the face instead of seeping into the cracks of your skin.
With having combination skin, I personally still use both the moisturiser and then primer after, the only thing I change to suit my skin, is I don’t apply too much moisturiser especially to my T-zone as that is the oilest part of my face.

I like primers as they help to set an even base for foundation to be applied, it gives you an advantage in getting that flawless look.

Here’s a little something to make it easier:

Skin type
Moisturise
Primer
Tip
Normal
yes
yes
Your skin is fine to  handle both
Oily
no
yes
Opt for a primer instead, shop for ones that are oil free
Dry
yes
yes
If your skin is very dry, moisturize and choose a primer that moisturizes the skin as well
Combination
yes
yes
If you want to use both, adjust the amount of moisturiser you use on the parts that get the oilest

Overall, if you want a good primer, there are primers out there that are designed specifically for your skin type. All you have to do is shop and ask around.
There are so many primers out there that offer your skin benefits, you just have to find one that works for you.

Here’s one I picked up for oily and dry skin.

 Face of Australia Face Base primer
 3 in 1 – primes, protects and moisturizers and is oil free.








Like what you've read? Please leave a like and follow my blog and twitter. It helps me out and makes me happy. =)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting read. I'm still a stranger to primer. I use primer on my eyelids before applying my eyeshadow but that's about it. Good tips, will try this at home! :)

    ReplyDelete